I took up the most of May to complete 30 pieces of aprons for CARIF (Cancer Research Initiatives Foundation) for their Be Frank Outreach Hairdressers Programme. This is the second year where I was given the honour to collaborate with them on this project. Do check out their list of hairdressers participating in this programme and improve public cancer literacy here: www.carif.com.my
Here’s some of the pictures I took throughout the process of making the aprons. Running a production line single handed is tough and you have to find creative ways not to bored. I break up the process in small steps so that I can handle things one day at a time.
First, it was the embroidery process. This time, I appliquéd ‘Be Frank’ logo to the apron. A good friend of mine, Gee RMS digitised the logo for me. Visit her page on Facebook if you wish for some digitising work done: https://www.facebook.com/sulamandanlogo. Though the machine does most of the work, I had to be nearby to change the thread and cut off the excess material for the appliqué. To embroider one logo, it took me 20-25 minutes, that is if there’s no hiccups ie. run out of bobbin thread, top thread snapped etc. Thank God there was just 2 thread colours to change.
The finished embroidery process:
I made my own bias tape with Simplicity Bias Tape Maker. This nifty gadget is heaven sent when I have to make yards and yards of bias tape. It took me like seconds to make 10-12 yards of bias tape and on average one apron require approximately 1 yard of bias tape. That means I made 30 yards of tape for this whole project.
Close up of the finished product:
All set and ready to go:
If you go to CARIF website, you’d see the first batch of the aprons worn by the hairdressers. I did those too :)
Do check out their other programmes too. There’s one I had in mind to sign up after the school break: “More than a Mammo” programme where you get a mammogram done at a subsidised fee of RM50 at Sime Darby Medical Centre (normal fee RM230).