Sunday, February 12, 2012

DIY Dyed Buttons


I was in Jalan Pudu getting some craft supplies and bumped into the famous Zila Kasim of Zila Kasim  Quilt Shop. We went to another shop where they sell buttons and ribbons. Zila suggested that I dye some cute buttons and without thinking too much I bought the buttons and 3 dyes; Cerise, Madonna Blue and Emerald Green. Zila said use dark colours. The outcome is much better than the lighter ones.

So, as soon as I got home from my craft supply hunting and a short stop at Secret Market at MIA, Jalan Ampang, I got my old enamel pot out and boil some water, added the dye in and a dash of vinegar and salt. When the concoction is bubbling, i turn down the flame and toss the buttons in. I let is simmer for 10 minutes or so. Then, i drain the dye and put the buttons under a running tap until the water runs clear. Drain the excess water and dump them onto a clean towel to dry.

The top picture is a teddy shaped button and the one down here is a birdie shaped button in 3 colours. It’s so easy to make that I’m going to make some more :)


I’m selling these if any of you are interested at RM5 for a dozen pieces (12). It can be an assortment or in one colour. Send me an email if you are interested in these :) Check out my facebook page for more pictures of these buttons.

My eternal thanks to Zila Kasim for nudging me to do this. I’m hooked!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nuffnang