Monday, January 25, 2016

New Craft for 2016 - Leather Craft


Last Saturday, 23 January 2016, I went for a leather craft class at Yee Button to learn how to make a card holder. That was my first time handling leather and learning all that is to know about leather, well, the basic that is. It was SO interesting and I was SO in love with the whole process of making leather goods. My teacher is M and he’s a pro at leatherwork. I was so engrossed in learning all there is to learn about making the cardholder, that I didn’t bother to take pictures. But my buddy in crime, Mas Rimaumanja who happen to come for another leather workshop snap some pictures of me. Thanks a million Mas! muah! muah!


Making that little card holder involves a lot of process. No wonder leather goods are expensive. It’s not just the material alone, it’s the workmanship that goes into it. I bought the whole set of tools needed to do more leather craft and shared half a buffalo vegetan leather with Mas for practise. The first thing that I wanted to make is something quite straightforward but being a new craft to master, not as straightforward as it seems; an Iphone sleeve.


This Iphone6 Sleeve is similar to one that my brother used to carry when he was using Iphone4S. I love the simplicity of the design. It protects the phone when you slip it in the jeans pocket and it protects it from scratches from the keys and whathaveyous when you throw it in the handbag. 


Having worked with cow vegetan leather to make the card holder and now working with the buffalo vegetan leather, I can actually feel the difference. I would have to make the most out of it for the time being because the latter can do serious damage to the pocket. The buffalo leather feels tough to me but I think it will make a good bag straps, very durable. I’m thinking of making my son a quiver for his arrows. how cool would that be, huh?



I did try to cut the leather with my Silhouette Portrait but failed big time. It did cut but didn’t quite cut through. I guess the blogs I read about cutting leather with Silhouette uses really thin and soft leather. 

I need to get more supplies for my leather craft. My practise leather is not evenly coloured so I think I’d dye it a different colour. I need rivets, snaps, wool dauber, and the list goes on and on... Oh, one thing top in in my list would be the metal stamps. Being able to personalised the leather with your initials would be cool, right? How I wish my money grows on tree...

Anyway, if you’re interested to learn leather craft, check out Yee Button’s Facebook page here.


2 comments:

Nuffnang