Monday, March 9, 2015

New Toy: Silhouette Potrait



I finally took the plunge and bought a Silhouette Portrait. It has been on my Wishlist since last year and I kept putting it off. Since the implementation of GST is due in April, I went ahead with the purchase for fear that the price might increase after the implementation. I got it last Friday, 6 March 2015 and picked it up from the vendor. I ordered it here: Silhouette Malaysia

I only got the chance to unbox it on Sunday which is so unlike me. But I guess people change. I didn’t buy any other kit or tools and managed to use stuff at home to experiment.


This is my first cut with the Silhouette. The Silhouette Studio software looked daunting at first and I was eager to just cut something. So, I chose  a ready design from the 50 pre-installed designs. The mat was extra sticky. I used the normal copy paper and couldn’t peel it off and just ripped it. The second try, I used a thicker craft paper and adjusted the setting somewhat. It came out beautifully and just with one pass. I read some saving tips, to prolong the life of the blade, don’t tick the 2 pass box. 


After the first 2 experiments, I got more confident and searched out for some free patterns. Obviously I know what to look for; Iphone cover template. The picture above, the before image is a manual cut template. the straight lines wasn’t a problem but I didn’t have much patience to cut out the camera hole. I purposely bought a clear Iphone5 cover so that I could change the designs when I get bored with it. Guess what, that Palestine flag design was the only design I made. Fast forward to the present. I found the template here. The after picture is the one i made using pattern paper. The pattern is actually a fabric pattern from Grand Revival’s, Tanya Wheelan. Good thing I’m somewhat of a hoarder (I used to deny it but the fact remains), otherwise, I won’t have anything pretty to cut.


My Iphone didn’t only get one new cover in one day, but two! I experimented with fabric. I mentioned that I didn’t buy any materials or specialty media so I had to work with what I have. I experimented with the tip shared here and successfully cut out a hexy, a circle and the iphone cover template from fabric.

Having said that, I have to confess that I blog less and less these past few years. I guess I’m more into micro-blogging via my pictures on Instagram. They say "a picture is worth a thousand words”. See how easy that is for me to post pictures? If you like the things I make or would like to see more of what I make, do follow me on Instagram here: instagram.com/madebyrozirahman/

With that, I part with one of my favourite quote:
Start where you are; Use what you have; Do what you can

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nuffnang